Spiced Braised Beef with Celeriac and Pickled Walnuts
Prep time: Approximately 20 mins plus marinating time
Cook time: 11⁄2-2 hours
675g/11⁄2lb lean stewing or braising beef, cut into 5cm/2in cubes
5-10ml/1-2tsp ground coriander
5-10ml/1-2tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
30ml/2tbsp sun flower oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
250ml/9 oz full bodied red wine
6 pickled walnuts, cut in half Grated zest of 1 orange
3 fresh bay leaves
1 sachet bouquet garnish
500ml/18 oz good, hot beef stock
15-30ml/1-2tbsp honey 175g/6oz baby carrots, scraped
1 small celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives, to garnish
- Place the beef in a large bowl and add the ground spices and seasoning. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the meat in batches and transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish. In the same frying pan, cook the onions for 1-2 minutes until golden and add to the dish with the beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the carrot and celeriac.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 11⁄2-2 hours.
- 25-30 minutes before the end of cooking, add the carrots and celeriac and continue to cook until the meat is tender.
- 5. Garnish with chives and serve with plain couscous or rice.