Beef, Shallot and Red Pepper Stew
Serves 4 Prep time: 20 mins / Cook time: 21⁄2-3 hours
900g/2lb lean braising or stewing steak, cut into 5cm/2in cubes
Salt and freshly milled black pepper 30ml/2tbsp dried mixed herbs 25g/1oz plain flour
15-30ml/1-2tbsp sun flower oil
675g/11⁄2lb shallots, peeled and left whole
2 large red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into large chunks
1 bottle good red wine 300ml/1⁄2pt good, hot beef stock 2 bay leaves
Small sprig fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Place the seasoning, mixed herbs and flour in a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in 1.7L/3pint ovenproof casserole dish and brown the beef in batches with the shallots.
- Stir in the pepper, wine, stock and bay leaves, scraping the base of the dish to release any sediment.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in the oven for 21⁄2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Garnish the stew with the thyme and serve with mustard mash and seasonal vegetables.