Braised Beef Coconut Madras
Prep time: 20 mins / Cook time: 2-21⁄2 hours
900g/2lb lean braising (chuck and blade) or stewing (shin and leg) steak, cut into 5cm/2in cubes
Salt and freshly milled black pepper 45ml/3tbsp sun flower oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1x 5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped 2 red chillies, deseeded (if preferred) and finely chopped
30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
30-60ml/2-4tbsp Madras curry paste or similar
200ml/7 oz coconut milk
2 small cinnamon sticks
45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
Fresh coconut shavings, to garnish, optional
- Heat 30ml/2tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, season the beef and brown the meat in batches for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan heat the remaining oil and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until soft and lightly brown.
- Transfer to a food processor or mini blender and process until smooth. Return to the casserole dish and add the remaining ingredients except the coriander and coconut shavings.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for
2-21⁄2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the cinnamon sticks before serving
- Garnish with the freshly chopped coriander and coconut shavings and serve with yellow basmati rice and naan bread.