450g lamb leg steaks or boneless shoulder, cut into 2.5cm cubes
For the marinade:
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or 3 teaspoons garlic purée
2 tablespoons ras el hanout or Moroccan spice mix
1–2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses mixed with 2 tablespoons runny honey
2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
For the Lemon Chick Pea Purée:
1 x 400g can chick peas, drained
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed or 2 teaspoons garlic purée
2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander or at-leaf parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons rapeseed oil
Flat breads and salad leaves, to serve
- Place the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the lamb, toss to coat, cover and marinate in the fridge for up to two hours, or overnight, if time allows.
- Soak 4–6 wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes. For the purée; place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whizz together until smooth. Season and set aside.
- Thread the lamb onto the skewers and cook under a preheated grill on a prepared BBQ for 12–16 minutes, turning occasionally until any meat juices run clear.
- Spread a large spoonful of the purée onto each flatbread, add one shawarma on top.
- Garnish with the salad leaves and serve.