Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: Rare: 20 mins per 450g/1lb plus 20 mins Medium: 25 mins per 450g/1lb plus 25 mins Well done: 30 mins per 450g/1lb plus 30 mins
1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean topside or sirloin joint
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Horseradish and Herb Butter
100g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
30-45ml/2-3tbsp hot creamed horseradish
30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
For the Gravy
15ml/1tbsp plain flour
600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
150ml/1⁄4pint full bodied red wine
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- To prepare the butter, in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Place the joint on a chopping board, score the skin, season and spread generously with the butter on both sides. Wrap any remaining butter in cling lm and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Place the joint on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich meat juice. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove from the oven; cover and leave to rest on a large plate for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy; spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock, wine and any meat juices from the plate. Adjust the seasoning if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced to a well- flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
- Serve the beef with seasonal vegetables and the gravy.
Make use any remaining herb butter as a topping on pan fried or grilled steaks.