Prep time: Approximately 10 mins / Cook time: 1 hour 25 mins
675g/11⁄2lb lean beef mince
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed 150ml/1⁄4pt good red wine
2x 400g cans cherry or chopped tomatoes 30-45ml/2-3tbsp tomato purée
10ml/2tsp dried chilli flakes
15-30ml/1-2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
10ml/2tsp ground cumin 10ml/2tsp ground coriander 5ml/1tsp ground ginger
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mince and cook for 8-10 minutes until brown, breaking down any meaty chunks with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the red wine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli flakes, sweet chilli sauce, spices, bay leaves and cocoa powder.
- Crumble over the stock cube and season.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the red kidney beans and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.