Roast Beef with Crispy Bacon, Mustard and Herbs
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: Rare: 20 mins per 450g/1lb plus 20 mins
Medium: 25 mins per 450g/1lb plus 25 mins
Well done: 30 mins per 450g/1lb plus 30 mins
1x 1.3kg/3lb lean beef topside, boneless rib or sirloin joint
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
30ml/2tbsp wholegrain mustard
60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
6-8 streaky bacon rashers, stretched
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mustard and parsley.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, make several slits over the surface of the joint and season. Rub with the mustard and herb mixture over the surface of the joint and inside the slits. Wrap the bacon rashers around the joint.
- Place the joint on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich beefy juices.
- Leave the joint to rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve with sauté or roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.